Sunday, June 04, 2006

Chance and Providence

"All of our lives, we have fought this war. Tonight I believe we can end it. Tonight is not an accident. There are no accidents. We have not come here by chance. I do not believe in chance. When I see three objectives, three captains, three ships. I do not see coincidence, I see Providence. I see purpose. I believe it is our Fate to be here. It is our Destiny. I believe this night holds for each and every one of us, the very meaning of our lives."
- Morpheous in The Matrix: Reloaded

First of all, I absolutely love this scene in The Matrix: Reloaded. I love how Lawrence Fishburne portray Morpheous like a Shakespearan character. But it's better than Shakespeare. Morpheous had a certain soul to him, an unshakeable faith and vision that I never saw in a Shakespearean character. Anyway....on to today's thoughts....

Before swim practice today I went to Circle K to pick up a Gatorade. I waltzed up to the counter and in front of me was one of my high school English teachers, Fr. Anton "Sam" Renna, SJ. He was perplexed as to why the card reader at the pump wouldn't work and just wanted to get his gas and go. I swear to God on this one here: the teller was Indian--dots not feather--and there was obviously a language barrier issue that prevented Fr. Renna from getting his gas. So, being a bright, charming lad I was able to help expedite the situation. I walked out the pump with Fr. Renna, we talked for a bit and then he drove off. It was good to see him. He looked like he hadn't aged a day since I was a senior.

While at Brophy, the Jesuits beat into us that in life there are no chance, everything happens for a reason. Now I am not sure how to feel about that. On one hand it feels really nice to believe that God orchestrated the meeting between Fr. Renna and I. It felt great to help the guy out. At the same time I wonder about tsunamis and earth quakes, and wonder what they mean about God's plan. If I had all my worldly possessions stripped from me, I would be pretty pissed. Then again, it is only when one is in a situation of absolute dire straits that they can ever begin to comprehend what Faith is all about.

No answers really for this question. If you have one, please post it. If you have a question or a story, please post it.

This week should be a good week. As odd as this may sound, sometimes I forget how much I love accounting and the work situation that I have created. This weekend I got some good rest, and remembered how much fun it can be to get up early, get a big ass cup of coffee, get in before anyone else, and get work done.

What I remember this weekend is this: I get up every morning for myself. I give 100% each day for myself. I will do my job as well as I can each day for myself. Nothing really else matters. Getting caught up in what others on The 2nd Floor are or aren't doing isn't going to make me more productive or feel better.

My alarm is set for 4:30 AM. My car is "gassed up" and I have some new music on the iPod. LET'S ROCK!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're a bundle of inspiration! Also, you can't go wrong quoting Matrix. While you're getting up early and rockin' don't forget to relax.

12:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home