Tuesday, March 06, 2007

What You Choose to Focus On, Part II

"My mentors/advisers/pals and I had an email thread the other day about "coaching elite athletes". What started as a discussion on coaching elite triathletes (rather infrequently elites in life), turned into a platform for some very successful people to define their personal definition of success. What was fascinating to me was that EVERY one of the successful people had achieved their person definition of success. They may not have achieved my definition (or your definition) but they achieved their own. A clear reminder that we must choose our goals wisely. What comes next is important...

Successful people cultivate an abundance mentality for their goals within themselves. They "are" what they are seeking to achieve. Through this self-expression, they achieve success prior to achieving their goals.

Unsuccessful people (unconsciously and consciously) cultivate a scarcity mentality within themselves. The focus on their "lack" of what they are seeking and long for the day when they will achieve it. This day rarely comes. Change in our life situation most effectively stems from an improvement in our personal outlook, expressed by what we cultivate in ourselves. We are most able to attract the things, experiences, people that we cultivate within ourselves."
- taken from http://www.gordoworld.com/gblog/2007/03/magic-formula.html

I really like the site that I took this quote from. The author consistently has good things to say about goal setting, making grounded decisions, etc. What really spoke to me about this quote is that it holds that success is different for everyone. Wow! I wish I would have know this at twenty-two.

These words pretty much confirmed for me a sneaking suspicion that I have had for the past year. Right out of college I thought that success could be broken into the following parts: impressive job title + lots of money + athletic dominance + smokin’ girlfriend = SUCCESS. The deeper I went down this path, the more miserable I felt.

At the time I tried to express these feeling to my fellow co-workers and friends, and they looked at me like I was absolutely crazy. Reason being, there definition of success was drastically different than mine. At the time I thought there was something wrong with me, so I kept plugging away at making my broken “SUCCESS” formula work, or even worse, applying someone else's formula to my life. The reason it didn’t work is that I wasn’t living in accordance with what really equated to personal success. Sounds obvious, but I wonder how many people live in a construct that they didn't create.

So those are my thoughts on true success. I'd like to hear what this equates to the reader's of this blog....

Namaste

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Success to me is about setting goals, and through effort and determination, achieving them. It really boils down to three key points: i) set clear goals, ii) plan out how to achieve them, iii) execute. Whether or not someone achieves these goals really depends on how self-disciplined that person is. The most successful people in life (in any capacity) are self-disciplined. Think of leaders in sports, academia, business, politics, entertainment; the successful ones are well-disciplined. They are constantly seeking to improve, and never get complacent. My father defined the road to success as “Clear Knowledge of Method; Relentless Pursuit of Goal.”

KJC

2:51 PM  
Blogger Walter's Mom said...

You need to define what success is to you before you can set goals. Is it a certain amount of money? A happy family? Recognition in your profession? Comforting the sick and the poor? All of the above? Then you need to prioritize because it is impossible to "have it all". Then you can set goals.

3:44 PM  
Blogger John Q said...

my problem with achieving goals is to find out how to achieve them - i am born kind of lazy. so the main challenge for me is to remove as much friction as possible so that it does not require too much effort. i guess setting realistic goals and align them with my core is an important step. then really focus on my biological rhythm to find out when and how i can have as much energy, focus and as least friction as possible. i do have some ideas about how to do that, but i would love som advice from this panel!

axl

12:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home