Thursday, December 13, 2007

Reimagining the Birth of Jesus - Part I

"For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a Stranger and you Welcomed me,I was naked and you clothed me, I was sick and you visited me, I was in prison and you came to me. Truly, I say to you,
as you did it to one of the least of these, my brethren, you did it to me."
- Matthew 25: 35-40

Christmas is just around the corner. In two weeks or so families around the world will get together, eat more food than they should, and then open gifts that have been sitting under a tree for a good while. Seems kind of strange that we celebrate the birth of Jesus this way, but this is what we do. We do it as much out of tradition as we do it to see the children and close family smile when they get something they really like.

For better or worse, I am usually not into Christmas. I could get into the details, talk about my childhood, and bizarre family; but I'll save that for a good decade or so when I am laying down on a leather sofa and paying some person I don't know a lot of money to let me talk about myself. Anyway, this sort of "Scrooge" thing got me thinking about the birth of Jesus. I've had some thoughts on this matter and want to use this site to talk about them a little bit.

If Jesus were to be born today, he would be born in a really shady part of town, something like an alley behind a Motel 6. As Mary and Joseph were traveling, maybe it would be better to say he would be born in parking lot outside the Motel 6. The shepherds--who spent a lot of time alone and with animals who stand about hip heighth--would be something like homeless people. Both are looked down upon in society because they are "unclean." Even though the story says that Joseph was a carpenter, I still would guess that he could have figured something out if he had enough cash; but he didn't. So maybe Joseph and Mary would have been collecting Welfare, or government aid. These are the conditions that Jesus was born into. These conditions aren't unlike what's going on today. They are two people with real life problems who don't know what's going to happen, and they are having a kid on top of it.

He was basically born surrounded by dirty, smelly people that were not accepted by society. Later on in his life, Jesus would spend most of the time we know about with tax collectors, fisherman, random strangers, a Roman centurion, a woman who had many husbands, and a woman who may or may not have been a prostitute. More importantly, he would spend a lot of time getting pissed off at the Pharisees for making these type of people feel bad, or less than human. I would guess that one of the main reasons why Jesus felt comfortable with these people is because he was ushered into the world in close proximity to such "unclean" people. I'm sure that when Jesus and family went back to Joseph's home town, they said hi and spent some time with the people who were there for the birth of Jesus. As a child he probably saw these people as genuine and nice instead of "unclean" or "foresaken."

This holiday season I have been thinking about this message: Love, compassion, kindness are for everyone, not just the pretty, educated people. All human beings deserve these things, but just as in the time of Christ, these are the things that are so rare in this world of ours.

I really think when Jesus said, "Rejoice, for the Kingdom of God is at hand," he is saying that we have everything he we need to right our problems. I don't think this line is about going to Heaven when a person dies. I think it means that we have what is needed to take care of one another.

Not trying to get preachy here, but I'd like to give all those reading this a homework assignment. Do something small and genuine for a random person who is in need. This could mean a donation, or something like that. For a few small seconds, have some genuine, human interaction with a person who has been regarded as "unclean" or shunned by society. It's probably going to be uncomfortable, but do it anyway and see what happens. Maybe they will feel better, maybe you will. Regardless, many small actions like this will bring about the Kingdom of God.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Rejoice, for the Kingdom of God is at hand" I like your intrepretation of this phrase. I don't go out every day with the goal to make someone's life better. However I try to never turn down an opportunity to do so. I try to keep my eyes open for those chances and hop to when I see them. This world would be a better place if everyone gave everyone love and respect.
I recently had an argument with a friend of mine who was pissed off that I put other people's needs ahead of my own. He thinks I'm weak and that I've given up being happy so I try to make other people happy. "You have to take care of #1" Unfortunately I think that is the prevailing view of humanity. Life is hard so you take care of yourself and let others do the same. I think that is sad.
MAD

12:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home