Saturday, March 10, 2007

True Purpose

"Inside each and every one of us is our one, true authentic swing. Something we was born with. Something that's ours and ours alone. Something that can't be learned... something that's got to be remembered."
- Bagger Vance, taken from the movie the Legend of Bagger Vance

"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

A month or so ago I wrote an entry called "Alignment." The basic premise is that it is important to apply one's time and resources to what a person really feels is at their Core. It's basically the same idea I had a few weeks ago--more or less the first signs of awareness of this concept. Now that I have spent time thinking about goals, I think there is a tweak that I missed. A person's goals should reflect their deepest internal values, and the time and energy that we apply to achieving these pursuits should be used judiciously.

I selected the quotes above for today's material because I think that they illustrate that their is something creative, and powerful inside each of us that knows what we should be doing. A yogi would call this bhakti, the Jedi would call it The Force. For most people I know would call this their soul, the place of Light and Truth dwelling in each of us. Much of the time, we have to get out of our own way and let this Force move through us.

I'd like to thank all those out their who posted their goals. One individual who signed off as "KJC" reminded me that goals should be simple, our actions towards achieving them need to be a way of life in order to make true progress.

That's all I got. I used this as a break to let my mind rest. I am currently tying out an enormous SEC document, and my brain is protesting. Yes, it is Saturday, and yes, the weather here in Arizona is absolutely astonishing. I'll probably knock off here in a few, and come back tomorrow. Once this is done I'll be able to get some good workouts in this week, and hit the CPA study hard.

Namaste

1 Comments:

Blogger Walter's Mom said...

True purpose? Sometimes it's harder to find than you think.
Back in the 80's, self-help was really big. I was in my 20's, starting my life and career. I was confused, broke, and I felt like everyone else was smarter, more successful, and better looking. I listened to alot of tapes. They were good for me. I learned how to keep plugging along. That's probably where I learned how to set goals. A few exercises are helpful and have been around forever. #1: If you couldn't fail what would you be doing.
#2: Write your own eulogy.
That said, my true purpose in life is to share God's love.

7:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home