Saturday, January 05, 2008

Growth = Pain, TV Gameshows, and Why I Miss Jerome

“When you blame others, you give up your power to change."
- Dr. Robert Anthony

If we're growing, we're always going to be out of our comfort zone."
- John Maxwell

"My personal experience is life-transitions (divorce, illness, injury, career change) force me to come to terms with myself. Specifically, I am forced to cope with the death of an identity.
Die a few times and it becomes easier to cope."
- Gordon Byrn as taken from http://www.gordoworld.com/gblog/2008/01/beyond-achievement.html

I went back and looked at my goals for 2007. It was a painful moment, but I haven't achieved any of the things that I wanted to achieve. The CPA exam isn't finished, my personal finances aren't completing resolved, my swimming isn't where I want it to be, and I haven't transformed into a fabulous ballroom dancer. So, I basically have to concede that none of my goals were realized in 2007. Yes, progress was made but nothing was really knocked out of the park.

So yeah, I'm pretty pissed right now. But the only thing I can do is reapply myself and get back at it. The only really good thing that has come about these failures--and I say this nonjudgementally--is that I can learn from what hasn't worked in the past, and use this information to alter my plan of attack in 2008.

The first 6 months of this year is our busy season at work. It really doesn't make sense to try and study during this time. But come May 2008, I'm going to fill out my CPA paperwork again, sign up for a review class, and dig in. It might be hard and require a lot of time sitting down on days when I want to go for a run or a swim, but it needs to get done.


There has been progress with swimming, but I didn't realize the extent of the overhaul I would need to do with swimming. I bought a notebook, set some goals and gave it to Coach Kevin. We'll see what he says. For the most part, my training is limited by my technique. I'm content to learn and work on my stroke, letting the base develop on its own.

Those are the two things I am really focused on in 2008. It's time to stopping fooling around and get this stuff done.

On a completely unrelated note, I was recruited to try out for a game show that will be aired on the FOX network. I was at a shopping center yesterday, minding my own business and sipping a cup of coffee, when a guy approached me and asked me if I was interested in potentially being on a game show. The show is called "The Moment of Truth." I took a look at some of the sample questions, and I'm basically being asked to take a bath at high noon, naked, at the busiest intersection in town. But, I could win $500,000 and be on television. As always, there are trade offs in life.

On another unrelated note, I got a haircut last week from a new barber. Let's just say this new guy is no Jerome. He got the sides right, but he left the hair too long on top. It's grown out okay, but at first it looks like a modified "high and tight." Jerome never did that to me. He always got the top to even out with the sides. More importantly, this guy doesn't have any wild, randome stories either. All he did was make some odd comment about how he thinks the actor Joe Pesci is crazy, and that he doesn't believe in Global Warming. So yes, I miss Jerome.

This week should be great. We've got plenty of really interesting work going on, I have my lunch packed from tomorrow, and Ill get a big ass cup of coffee on the way to work.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I miss Jerome stories!!! So are you ever going to send me your email address?

9:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe I missed something, is Jerome coming back?

It is ok not to have knocked anything out of the park in 07. Life is a path not a destination. The CPA is just a brief stop to whereever you are headed. It is ok to take your time getting there.

TV huh? Is this the one where you are hooked up to a lie detector and they ask you personal questions like "Do you think fat people are ugly?" I don't know if I would go on a show like that. You know they are looking for ratings so if you honestly say "No, I don't think fat people are ugly." What's to keep them from trying to pump up the ratings by saying you're lying? Then again, if you win the $500K well, that goes a long way towards getting your finances in order.
MAD

1:06 PM  
Blogger Walter's Mom said...

Some years appear to be more "substantial". You pass an important exam, you get married, etc. Other
years you are laying the ground work for the big changes that will eventually come. Both situations lead you to your eventual success.
I believe the more boring years are where most of the hard work is done.
As I prepare for our half marathon this weekend, I think back to all the times that I wanted to be lazy after a long day at work or early on the weekend mornings. Instead I strapped on my tennies and went to the gym or hit the bike path. Not very exciting but now I get the pay off. Get it?

7:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So....Did you take the bath?

10:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home