Sunday, November 09, 2008

Belfast on My Mind

"I learnt from Armstrong on the early recordings that you never sang a song the same way twice."
- Van Morrison

For the past two months I have been looking forward seeing Van Morrison in concert in Los Angeles. The show I was supposed to see was slated for last night. For various reasons, I didn't attend. Instead, I had a "poor man's concert" last night; I got all my Van Morrison recordings, put them on my iPod, poured myself a Scotch whisky, and played them based on chronology. After about three hours of music--lead off by blasting Gloria, and finished with the Belfast Cowboy singing Until I Gain Control Again, a long-forgotten country standard--I was still pissed that I missed the concert, possibly even angrier than I was when I first decided not to go to the show on Thursday afternoon. The only silver lining to this experience was a deeper appreciation for the man's music and his delivery.

As much as I enjoy his more mainstream recordings--Brown Eyed Girl, and his recent cover of Comfortably Numb as featured in the Departed soundtrack come to mind--I'd have to say that my favorite songs by the artist fall in this order: Santa Fe, and Into the Mystic. These two songs are about a connection to place, and a person, and explore how these things change and feel over time. In Santa Fe, he asks "Do you need it / Can you feel it in the same old way," as he rides on a train to Santa Fe--in my imagination he is meeting with an old-time love, wondering if that Flame still burns. It's the same concept he sings about in Into the Mystic--as the sailor leaves his woman on the shore he recognizes that there is something beyond description that will sustain their relationship while they are apart. In short, heavy concepts matched by unparalleled delivery--both are things which are only enhanced and more nuanced when a dash of alcohol is added to the equation.

So that is where my sensibilities are right now. How do places and people change over time? What does sustain relationships and people as we move forward in our lives? Not exactly water cooler conversation. These questions and concepts along with the backdrop of the current economic uncertainty have me thinking about one thing right now: Belfast, Ireland.

Over a hundred years ago my great-grandfather left Belfast, Ireland at the age of 11 and took a boat to America. His parents told him that they couldn't feed him, and there wasn't any work to be had; I don't think he could read or write. In the face of wild uncertainty, he got on a boat, headed to a new continent; there weren't a whole lot of other options, but there was a lot of hope that something good might happen with this change. The only real information other than that is this: he had a beautiful moustache, wore the long underwear that had the "bathroom flap" in the back, and smoked cigars during breakfast. When I hear these stories about the man being recounted, I don't get the sense that he was a broken character, or that the events of his life were met with bitterness. From what I can gather his criteria for happiness were as follows: food on the table, work--regardless how menial, and time spent with his family.

These are the thoughts that I have been meditating on this morning. I've recalibrated my expectations, and am refocusing on the aforementioned Big Three. When things in the economy right themselves--as they most certainly will over time--then I'll add travel to the list once again, and go see Van Morrison in concert. In the mean time, I'll continue with my ongoing mission to find enjoyment in simpler pleasures, i.e. a sunset, grilled cheese and tomato soup with my mom, a $6 USD steak after coupon cooked to perfection on my stove. If things really get back I might have to bite the bullet and start drinking Irish whisky.

Namaste

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been thinking about happiness as well. I'm jealous of a friend with a job that is maximum 4 10-hour days. He doesn't take work home with him. His schedule is predictible and he has plenty of time with family. He's never going to make more that $50-60K per year but how important is that? Time is our most valuable asset, is it not? If that is the currency, he is far richer than I. Interestinly Yahoo just ran an article about the top ten happiest careers. Scientists and Industrial Engeneers are the only careers that top out over $45K/yr. So do you have to be poor to be really happy? It sort of seems that way.
MAD

1:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home