Sunday, November 02, 2008

Home

“Home is not where you live, but where they understand you."
- Christian Morganstern

On Friday night I had dinner with a family friend. The topic of "Home" came up, and the idea has been bouncing around in my head ever since. My friend is a dentist and volunteers his time providing dental services to children on Indian Reservations throughout Arizona, and Mexico. He told me that in each Hopi home the umbilical cords of each child in the family is pinned up on a wall. The reason for this, he said, is so that each child knows where home is when they enter the Spirit World. It's a pretty powerful image. In my mind, I like to think that they are pinned up on the wall so that each child never forgets where they came from--whether they are in the Spirit World or in this one.

My cousin Matt and her husband Maria were in Phoenix over the weekend, and we were able to meet up for breakfast on Saturday--I mentioned this in a previous post. We went to Matt's Big Breakfast, which is hand's down my favorite breakfast spot in Arizona. We waited roughly 30 minutes for a table, but it was well worth the wait. I gorged myself on eggs, hash browns, sour dough toast, pancakes, a tortilla, and a side of chipotle sausage. It was perfect. We ate, and laughed, told old stories that I am sure we will still be telling 30 years from now, and killed a couple pots of coffee. And I thought to myself, "This is Home. This is a place where I want nothing to change, and I feel completely myself."

In addition to this mental space, I would like to submit the following definition of what Home is: "A place where nothing bad can find you." I felt this way waking up at my Uncle Bobby's condo, Uncle Johnny and Aunt Luisa's home in Antioch, California, and at a trailer park in Bisbee, Arizona. I wish I could think of what the true and deep significance of such place are, but I can't think of an appropriate response. But I will say that I can't wait to see Matt and Maria again, kill a great bottle of wine, pass out in their guest bedroom, and wake up with a big goofy grin on my face--knowing that nothing bad can find me in their Home.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home