Sunday, September 28, 2008

Ten Essentials

"And now here is my secret, a very simple secret; it is only with the heart that one can see rightly, what is essential is invisible to the eye.”
- Antoine de Saint-Exupery, taken from The Little Prince

General Reference: http://men.style.com/fashion/10_essentials/090308?mbid=rss_msnf

While perusing the web version of GQ, I came across a section called 10 Essentials. I would have completely passed this over under normal circumstances, but the 10 Essentials that were being featured were from tennis legend Bjorn Borg. It was interesting to see what Borg considered essential or very enjoyable. Some were soul deep, and the others were completely superficial.

Over the past few weeks I've asked several people what they consider essential. It has become sort of a game over time with following ground rules: (1) People are not appropriate for this list; (2) Stores or any place that sells goods or services are eligible for consideration; (3) Experiences are applicable as well like "My weekly breakfast with Joe,"; (4) Concepts or general things like "the Internet," "email," "the Muni line" or "travel" are not applicable. It sounds a lot easier to come up with ten than it really is. With these things in mind, here are my ten essentials:

1. Sticky notes: Early on in my career I had a tendency to get overwhelmed with all the things that had to be done. It wasn't so much the work that scared me, it was more of the timing of the work and managing priorities appropriately. I don't know what triggered it, but one day I just reached for a sticky note, started writing down the tasks I had to do, and stopped when I ran out of space. It was just big enough to help me determine what needed to be done to make meaningful progress, but not too big that I felt overwhelmed. When my list is complete I make another list. I figure I go through a pad a week.

2. White Dress Shirts: My former employer was a much more formal work place than my current one. My signature style came to be dark slacks, white dress shirt. It was a simple combination. I always feel great wearing a pressed white dress shirt, cuff links optional. Right now I have about five that I rotate through.

3. iPod: I use it at work to drown out the background noise, and I will occasionally use it when I go on long runs. Right now I am listening to a lot of Van Morrison and Chris Isaak.

4. Coffee: I have a cup in the morning, and a cup in the afternoon during the work week. Back when I lived in San Francisco I would frequent local places like the Buena Vista Cafe, Tartine Bakery, and my video rental store to get my fix. I'd much rather have a real person benefit from my addiction than a massive corporation. Needless to say, I get the fix from Starbucks now.

5. Sperry Topsider Deck Shoes: As a little kid I always thought that you had to wear socks with shoes or else something horrible would happen--either your feet would smell really bad, or you would get a horrible rash. My uncle showed up one day wearing a pair of deck shoes, no socks. The whole afternoon I was fixated on his "socklessness." I got my first pair in 2005. I only own dress shoes, running shoes, and a pair of these. I guess that makes them my utility shoes.

6. The Barber Shop: Big surprise, huh? I also get my shoes shined there as well. It's relaxing and very 1950s masculine.

7. GQ Magazine: Over a year ago I was having a horrendous day, and needed a break. I walked across the street to Borders, and picked up the latest edition of this magazine. I sat outside my office building after work with a cup of coffee, and just lost myself in this semi-delusional world. How many people do you know in real life that spend $1,000 USD on a short-sleeve shirt? But the magazine has some good articles about people dealing with real issues, and killer stories about travel. If I can time a hair cut, a shoe shine, and picking up a copy of the new GQ I call this a "three star day."

8. TYR Goggles: Simple fact: chlorine burns. These goggles are the only ones that fit my face, and keep the burning sensation to a minimum.

9. Arnette Sunglasses: I am currently sporting the "Asylum" model--black frames with black polarized lenses.

10. Black Oxford cap toes: I have two pair in the rotation right now: one that I purchased in 2006 that has been resoled once, and another that I purchased this year. According to GQ, brown shoes add a certain pop. I would agree, but black cap toes are timeless and classic to the point that they are invisible. Maybe more importantly, black shoes shine up much nicer than brown shoes and the wear and tear on them is much less visible. People may not be taken by my shoes, but they will notice how well the shoes are shined, even the back of the shoe, compliments of my friends at the barber shop.

5 Comments:

Blogger WEB SHERIFF said...

WEB SHERIFF
Protecting Your Rights on the Internet
Tel 44-(0)208-323 8013
Fax 44-(0)208-323 8080
websheriff@websheriff.com
www.websheriff.com

Hi Zen,

On behalf of Exile Productions and Exile Publishing, many thanks for plugging Van Morrison and, for your readers’ info, up-to-the-minute news on Van’s latest album - Keep It Simple - and 2008 shows is, of course, available on www.vanmorrison.com and www.myspace.com/vanmorrison and, for a limited period, you can still see Van's exclusive BBC sessions at http://www.bbc.co.uk/musictv/vanmorrison/video/ . We’re also pleased to announce that an increasing archive of exclusive film footage of Van Morrison performances has now been made available for fans on Exile’s official YouTube channel at http://uk.youtube.com/user/OfficialExileFilms .

Thanks again for your support.

Regards,

WEB SHERIFF

6:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok- In no particular order, here are my 10 Essentials:

Dinner at Pearl Oyster Bar- Cesar Salad, Lobster Roll and a Butterscotch Praline Sunday; This makes everything wrong in the world right.

Cozy, Clean Bed- squishy pillow, high quality down comforter and clean, high thread count, white sheets; You spend 1/3 of your life in this location so it better feel great. A good night sleep is imperative to your success of the day and sometimes the thought of sinking into my bed is what gets me through the day.

Chanel Heels- They make you float and they give you an extra boost of confidence. They are always a timeless classic.

Business Suits- Wearing one makes me feel powerful. If I was a super hero I would want my costume to be a business suit. I feel like I can take on anyone and anything when I wear mine. I usually try to wear one on days I know I will be going to the President and VPs offices.

Blackberry- You can do everything on a Blackberry! And if I misplace it in my apartment, I start to panic.

Vaseline- Whoever invented it should be given a Nobel Peace Prize. I use it as makeup remover, moisturizer, lip gloss… If I was ever on Survivor, this is the one things I would bring with me.

Extra Virgin Olive Oil- I think I drink it. I can’t cook without it.

iPod- I use mine all the time. I cannot go for a run without it. I wear it when I am walking anywhere in the city so I don’t have to hear guys on the street tell me I am pretty. #1 song of the week- King of Pain acoustic version by Alanis Morrisette.

AtOne Power Yoga Class- Ian or Max; Those classes changed my life and I can’t believe I cannot find something similar here in NYC. I love sweating!

Louis Vuitton Palermo GM Bag- It’s my Mary Poppins bag. If you need something, it’s 99% guaranteed it’s in this bag. It’s also a power bag. It’s one of those bags that all the other girls check out because it means I’ve got my shit together!

AEM

12:33 PM  
Blogger Walter's Mom said...

No order on mine, either
1. Mass--a time to connect with
God and share with my friends
and join with the church.
2. my bicycle--I have spent many
hours on this thing. I feel
healthy, happy, and like I'm
6 years old again.
3. Food Network.com--I have around
100 cookbooks. Some are big,
some are small, some are very
specialized. But when I'm
trying to find something dif-
ferent or searching for mot-
ivation, the Food Network is
my baby. Also, they have
great reviews of the recipes.
4. high heels--unlike AEM, I am
not that particular about the
designer as long as they are
beautiful, different, and make
me feel chic
5. gas range with an extra low
setting, at least 5 burners.
6. the first few sentences of an
amazing book when you realize
this is something special. It
happens about once every two
or three years. Conversely,
finding someone who has read
the same book and talking about
it (but not a book club).
7. my dry cleaner--sounds weird
but I can't imagine ironing my
stuff and what about all that
wool, silk, etc?
8. Dentotape and the Oral B
Triumph electric toothbrush.
9. the Rosary--when I wake in the
middle of the night, I knock
off a decade or two. If I'm
in a worrisome mode I can com-
plete a whole set of mysteries.
When I find myself in a situa-
tion where I have to wait, I'll
close my eyes and say the
Rosary. Another way to connect
with my spirituality.
10. Wine, especially good wine.

2:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok, so this took me a long time to figure out and I finally scraped together 10 things. Here we go...
1)Pineapple - the most delicious thing ever made. Need I say more?
2)Camping/Nature - Lets just say it, I hate cities. I need dirt under my fingernails and on my jeans. I need to smell that fresh air and hear silence. When was the last time you really were able to hear silence? It makes me feel human again. A part of this planet.
3)Dessert - I always need that finishing touch to a meal be it fruit or cake (or both)
4)Comfortable footwear. -With size 15 EEE feet and hammer toes to boot, (pun intended) finding a shoe in the first place is impossible. Walking comfortably is a rare and joyous experience.
5)The Moon - I grew up in a house where my closest neighbor was over a mile away. Laying on a hillside on a warm summer night chatting with the moon got me through some very tough times in my life.
6)A utility knife - I use them constantly around the house.
7)My parents house - This ties in with #5. It is the only place I truly feel at home.
8)Water - I prefer it over all other drinks and I drink it all the time.
9) The Internet. - Sadly 70% of my life (including this blog) is working and that is usually on the internet.
10)Exercise - I may not be running or lifting right now but at least I'm walking to the bus stop. I would go crazy without some form of exercise.

Well there you have it.
MAD

12:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My top 10 - in no particular order:

1. A great handbag - I'm not tied to brands, but I'd be lying if I didn't say that I love my Carolina Herrera. A great bag dresses up any outfit
2. Sunglasses - I love my Chanel and Dior. It's the small things that make you feel great and I wear sunglasses every day!
3. Cole Haan Nike Air pumps. These things are so comfortable you could wear them to Disneyland.
4. A great glass of red wine. It's good for you too!
5. Ditto for a great cup of coffee - love the Spanish latte at Urth Cafe. I know it's going to be a good morning after one of those.
6. Going to the farmer's market on Sundays. It's a great way to start the week.
7. My planner - I have a blackberry and love that too, but the student and academic in me loves to cross things off my to do lists. The blackberry lists just aren't as satisfying.
8. I love cooking. There's nothing else that eases stress like chopping veggies into a million pieces with a sharp knife. Creepy I know, but chopping is immensely satisfying.
9. PJ day - this hardly ever happens, but I love a day that I never need to leave the house and can literally be in my pjs all day. I can't even remember the last time I was able to do this.
10. Great classical Spanish guitar music or flamenco. It immediately takes me to a happy place!

Luisita

9:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home