Sunday, July 27, 2008

Rugged Gentlemen

"Courtesy is as much a mark of a gentleman as courage."
- Theodore Roosevelt

"Just after Easter Roy gave me the Winchester .22 rifle I'd learned to shoot with. It was a light, pump-action, beautifully balance piece with a walnut stock black from all its oilings. Roy had carried it when he was a boy and it was still as good as new. Better than new. The action was silky from long use, and the wood of a quality no longer to be found."
- Tobias Wolff, taken from This Boy's Life

Most people I know have a guilty pleasure or two. This expression "guilty pleasure" is thrown around a lot, and I don't know of anyone or any authoritative source that has taken the time to define this expression. MAD may or may not agree with my definition but I will submit that it can be defined by the following two characteristics: (1) something that brings you an inordinate amount of enjoyment, and (2) you are more than slightly embarrassed to admit what brings this enjoyment to a person who is not a member of your immediate family or close friends.

With this criteria in mind, I would say that the following are some of my guilty pleasures: TYR goggles, hand sanitizer, a hair cut from my barber Lazaro--big surprise there, a deep shoe shine done by somebody else, the movies Road House and Point Break--maybe the finest two "B" movies ever made, and men's magazines--namely GQ, Esquire and Men's Journal. It is this last item on the guilty pleasure list that has gotten me thinking about Rugged Gentleman.

It's next to impossible for me to throw away a beloved magazine. I'm the same way with book. From time to time, I will go through previous issues of GQ and Men's Journal and just re-read the articles. Throw in a Scotch whisky, and I'd call that a great afternoon. So, as I am going through a Men's Journal from 2006, there are a bunch of photos of the next generation of the Explorer's Club--don't ask me what that is exactly--along with pictures of the individuals who have preceded the current generation. All the historic members of this club all wore suits, most of them three-piece suits at that, backed up by some very manly facial hair. These pictures got me thinking, "Who were these guys and what were they like?"

For the most part, I believe that most of these men came from relatively affluent families. I haven't really hard of a random farmer from the Midwest funding an expedition to go deep into the Congo to further the collective knowledge of humanity. Sir Edmund Hillary--who was a beekeeper from New Zealand--is probably the exception to this statement. Anyway, I would submit that most of these men had an education in the Classics--Greek, Latin, etc.--and at the same time were deeply interested in learning about the Natural World through direct experience. These people were not above going out into the Uncharted Territory and getting their hand's dirty--they just made sure that they cleaned up well after the dirty work was over. Above all else these men were capable.

Personally, I don't think that the generation of men that I am describing is necessarily better than the current generation. But I do believe that men have become more specialized in what they do. Back in the 50s--from what I am told and have seen on television--most guys knew how to work on a car. When was the last time you saw a couple guys outside of their house, actually working on a car? I haven't seen that since I was eight years old--and that was more like watching two men do greater damage to something instead of fixing it. Are men not as masculine as before? Probably not. But most men I know don't have the breadth of knowledge that men seemed to have in previous generations.

Another thing I have noticed is that many people I know look like absolute crap while in the workplace. I was changing after swim practice last week--putting on my standard slacks and pressed shirt--and a lane mate of mine said, "Gosh, I'd hate to have to wear that every day to work." The odd thing is that I really enjoy putting on a pair of slacks, a pressed shirt, and a pair of well maintained shoes. My lane mate--on the other hand--sauntered off to work in a T-shirt, shorts, and sandals. If I went to work like that I'd probably find some random corner of the office and take a nap at midday. I don't know exactly what it is, but somehow attention to detail and care in appearance translate into attention to detail and care in one's work. I believe that the previous generations understood this, but somehow was lost along the way.

Needless to say, this generation of Rugged Gentleman did have their problems. Jack London, one of America's finest writers as well as a really "butch" guy, was a terrible racist. He had gone to Alaska, done some really manly things there like gold mining, penned some amazing literature, but felt that black or "colored men" were inferior to his Caucasian counterparts. In fact, it was London who coined the term "great White Hope" in a newspaper article regarding then heavyweight boxing champ, Jack Johnson. These men were not perfect, but they did have a few things figured out.

Instead of Rugged Gentlemen, my generation has Metrosexuals. Nice. This might be the most emasculating term in all of the American English vernacular. The pendulum has swung in one direction. Hopefully, it will start to swing back--only this time without the racism and obscene amount of facial hair.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

MAD agrees with the definition. MAD does not agree that a hair cut from Lazaro qualifies. :-) You talk with so much pride and so often about this barber of yours. You also talk about him in a semi-public forum where likely the majority of readers know you personally. I doubt that you are even slightly embarrassed by the joy you find in his hair cuts.
Roadhouse on the other hand...

I agree that we have become more specialized but that is more out of necessity than anything else. I have friends who can tear down a 1965 Mustang and re-build it in a week. Ask them to re-build your Prius and you'll be in trouble. Way back when, the world was smaller. The knowledge base was smaller. It was easier to know a greater percentage of the cumulative knowledge. It is getting to the point now where you know what you need to know plus what you enjoy knowing and you let the rest fall by the wayside.
Are men more or less masculine these days? I don't think so. I think men feel that society is more accepting of their lack of masculinity and thus they don't have a problem showing it off. Personally I think the whole "metrosexual" think is idiotic. Just another way for someone to feel a part of a group. And just another way for the retailers to create norms in which a group member must conform, thus allowing them to sell more crap lest the metrosexual feel his group has moved on without him.
I also agree about the sloppy dress, sloppy work theory. Even if that isn't true, people judge a book by its cover because most of the time that's the only information that's available. If I see a dirty bum walking down the street, he/she might have a heart of gold, but I'm crossing the street before I get too close. Who wants to deal with the smell? I'm a professional and I want to be perceived as such.
Unfortunately I don't see any meaningful reversal of our steady decline in societal standards. The only silver lining is I don't think retailers will allow society to accept nudity as acceptable because who then will they sell to?
MAD

1:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4brKIDOQr4I&feature=related

vs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ho2bWl3Y2RA&feature=related

These are two extremes, I probably had a poor choice of a metro vid, but I am not to familiar with this arena of expression. I do appreciate being well groomed and well dressed. I think also metro sexuals tend to be very focused on themselves. This is the big difference between the metro and a professional. Its this narcistic focus on the self, where as a professional cares about his appearance but also is considerate of those around him.
There are worse things then a metro there is the poor misguided youth of the Emo types... I do not even now what would motivate those youngsters

There are plenty of good gents in the second video who enjoy their share of good grooming.

Point Break- definitly top 10 movies. Good choice of mags Mike!
I am one for a good haircut too. I have a female korean, sue, and she does the hot shaving cream on the neck, and a relaxing message, to work my misaligned back.

If you feel yourself walking towards the metro light a few emergeny courses of action:
1. Play any song by the Highwaymen or Johnny Cash
2. Ask "What the hell would John Wayne Do?
3. Quicly take your copy of the DVD "Outlaw Jossie Wells" maybe "Red Dawn," or "Dirty Harry"
As you watch feel manhood corse through veins, yes menergy has returned
4. Do a crossfit WOD

Sorry for being verbose, great post Mike, had fun reading it.

All best
Skyshark
John Bruce

3:18 PM  
Blogger Walter's Mom said...

Hello, Michael. I'm back from Hawaii. Our little house at the end of the road did not have cell phone access. There was internet access but I didn't bother. No TV. Heaven.
My guilty pleasure? CSI
My definition of a real man:
1. Accepts responsibility.
2. Does the "right thing".
3. Doesn't blame others.
4. Positive impact on the
world.
Interpret those as you wish.

Appearance? Dependent on the environment. My Mike is in the bicycle industry. As COO, his work uniform is jeans or shorts and a nice t-shirt. If he came to the office in a suit, he would lose credibility. But, if we go to a wedding or important social event, he always wears a suit and tie.

I wear a white jacket at the office. I belong to a dental group that meets once a month. The dress code is jacket and tie for men, dressy business for ladies. There really is a different feeling at these meetings because everyone looks like a winner.

We always use the term "metro-
sexual" as a joke at our house.
It describes a certain androgyny.

5:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home