Tuesday, August 12, 2008

The Da Vinci Quote, Part II

"Life is pretty simple: You do some stuff. Most fails. Some works. You do more of what works. If it works big, others quickly copy it. Then you do something else. The trick is the doing something else."
- Leonardo da Vinci

"Life is a process of holding on and letting go.”
-Keith Urban

Most of Leonardo da Vinci's quotes are very elegant. This one sounds like something the great master would have said after three or four glasses of vino from his personal reserve. Regardless of its break from his usual style, it jumped out at me this morning. It's interesting how the consumate Renaissance Man and an Australian country singer both have the same thoughts on the ever changing nature of life.

On Friday I got some rather startling news related to one of my family members. I dealt with the immediate issues that I could, and then said, "What the fuck," got in the hybrid and headed to Los Angeles. I hung out in a pocket of Southern California, which was about two miles from the water on the side of a canyon. I had no cell service, no watch, minimal television and even less computer access. I was unplugged. I came back late Sunday afternoon with a clear mind--so clear, I felt mildly spacey on Monday morning.

Given similar news a year ago, I would have stewed over events which were beyond my control. This time, I stepped back, thought about what sort of positive impact I could have on the situation, and said, "Fuck it." I'd put this event and/or skill in the "letting go" category. I'll call it progress.

Namaste

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home