Monday, February 04, 2008

The Spiritual Teachings of Isaac Newton

"For every action there is an equal, and opposite reaction."
- Isaac Newton, the 3rd Law of Newtonian Physics

My original title for this piece was called "Karma Is a Bitch." I decided to take the high road and use the more appropriate, adult title. Anyway, over the weekend I intercepted a piece of intelligence that was extremely upsetting. Apparently, some of my co-workers have been making comments about me behind my back. Now I don't have written documentation of this, but just hearing this as a possibility was extremely upsetting.

As I was driving to work today, the anger of it all sort of built in my stomach. I felt a headache coming on, and then I had the most amazing, startling thought that sort of put everything into perspective: "I am guilty of the exact same thing." In my daily life, I've talked about people behind their back. I've made judgements about people that I didn't completely know, or understand. I'm guilty of it as much as anyone else. It's something that I am not proud of, but I have done this.

So, as I was hitting the back half of the drive, it occurred to me that this is the Universe coming back and kicking me in the ass. It's not pretty, but this was undoubted proof that what you do put out there will come back and get you. What applies the natural world also applies to the world of human dynamics. It's a painful awakening, but it seems like the only way that most people grow is through pain.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home