Saturday, March 08, 2008

Clean Water

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."
- Mark Twain

I'm not sure what it is, but when I sit down and write I need to have a cup of coffee next to me, or a glass of Scotch whiskey. Both have addictive qualities: one is an upper, the other is a downer. Either way, I get this sense that I can sit down at the computer and be here as long as I need to when I have a drink next to me. It's not rational, but it is real.

This was an interesting week. A few weeks back, I wrote about how there was a contingent of people at work who were "out to get me." Well, I sat down with my boss, braced myself for the worst, and asked him if there were any formal complaints about me, and if anyone was out to get me. At first he laughed out loud and then he gave me a perplexed look and said, "Well, if people are out to get you, then they are out to get me as well."

It's funny now, but for a few weeks I thought that Lord Voldemort and the Armies of the North were out to get me. The whole thing had been built up into such a huge ordeal in my mind that I gave myself a horrible headache. But it was predicated on something that was completely false. As the man said, "The mind can make a heaven out of Hell, or make a hell out of Heaven." What you believe makes it true.

So, all is pretty much right in my world now. My boss Armando and I are clicking like Tom Brady and Randy Moss. It's something that really can't be explained. The truth is this: I really don't want to understand it, I just want to enjoy it.

I went to see a doctor this week regarding my nagging shoulder issues. It turns out there isn't any structural damage, just a case of tendonitis. Once I got the clearance fom the doctor, Kevin and I started working again. We modified the length of my stroke on the left side, and it seems to have taken away the pain. Now it's a matte of training the stroke, and modifying it, but the broad strokes are there.

So once again, I'm swimming in Lane 4--the clean water. I have no clue how long this will last. I'm sure that something will come up, or I will manufacture something in my head and it will seem like the world is going to end. But that day is not today.

Namaste

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad all has worked itself out. Hopefully next time you will be able to catch yourself before you go all crazy imagining things.
I'm also glad to see you back on the blog. Hope to see more!
MAD

12:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, 90% is in our heads. I felt that most clearly about 15 years ago. I was on the 405 in LA, Friday afternoon, not moving, and late for a date with a guy I was crazy about. I was really frustrated.
The car in front of me had this young couple. He was driving, she was his passenger, but not really because she was pretty much in his lap the whole time.
They were into some pretty intense "making out". (Is that term used anymore?) Anyway, I was pissed and they were having a ball. And I thought to myself that we were just
feet apart and they are in the middle of ecstasy and I am in the middle of crap. It is not the situation it is the attitude. For some reason this made a huge impact on me and I have looked at situations differently every since.

10:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home