Saturday, March 29, 2008

Jerome Gets a Cadillac

"I drive a lot. Just for pleasure. Sometimes I'll get in the Cadillac and drive around the city or the country, kind of trying to get lost basically. Y'know, just see where roads lead."
- Frank Black

"You're never promised your next breath."
- Lenny Kravitz

Much like every other Friday, I went to the barbershop to get my hair cut. I found out two weeks ago that Jerome was moving to another barbershop within the franchise. So I called to set-up an appointment with my second favorite barber, Mikhail, yesterday morning. I show at the scheduled time and Jerome is there, swinging to his own beat. Mikhail had a guy still in the chair so we shot the breeze for about 10 minutes.

Jerome purchased a new "used" 2006 Cadillac a week ago. He used to drive an old school Lincoln. The car stretched out for days--as most Lincoln's do--and he had a vanity plate on the back which read, "JEROME." I asked him if he was going to keep the vanity plates, and he wasn't sure.

I'm not sure what it is, but the Cadillac seems to be the perfect car for the man's personality. When I think Cadillac I think of a few things. The first thing is "top notch." A lot of the time people will refer to something wonderful as the "Cadillac of (fill in the blank)." I think it's fair to say that Jerome is the Cadillac of story telling barbers. Additionally, when I think of a Cadillac, I think of an American made car that has a certain swagger of mystique to it, a storied tradition if you will. From all perspectives the car is appropriate for Jerome. Lastly, when you have a conversation with the man, you never know where it's going. One minute you are hearing about his misadventures in Columbia as a younger man, and a minute later he is telling you about how he once cut Phil Mickelson's hair. So in that sense, you never really know where the Cadillac or Jerome will take you.

As always Jerome had a story or two about the love interest in his life. Apparently, things are going really well with the lady in his life except for one thing: she has stopped knocking on the door and is just letting herself in the house. Under normal circumstances, this probably wouldn't be that big of a deal. However, Jerome shared with me that his housemate has a great love of firearms, and an even greater love of cleaning them naked when he is alone in the house.

In two weeks I will go to Jerome's new barbershop and bring two singles of Scotch whiskey to mark the occasion. I think we are going to have to have a toast and a drink after he cuts my hair. A steady, sober hand is necessary for barbering.

Namaste

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

dongle collecting cease supersedeice warehousing requirements arabia authorizing ausfilm prescribes retaliatory
lolikneri havaqatsu

2:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home