Sunday, November 16, 2008

Taking Inventory - 2008

"The inventory goes down the elevator every night."
- Fairfax Cone

"After spending half my life acquiring possessions I had a moment of clarity, reaching this simple conclusion: It's all a bunch of crap."
- David Dyer

There is a metric in financial analysis called the "quick ratio" or the "acid test ratio." The formula is as follows: "(Current Assets - Inventory) / Current Liabilities." This ratio flushes out two things: (1) Can a company meet their short-term financial obligations, and (2) It exposes if a company is carrying too much inventory, or rather, that the company is having a hard time selling their inventory. In short, too much inventory is never a good thing.

The holiday season is approaching and I am reminded of what a special time of the year it is indeed--a time when people's love for each other is measured in what or how much they give the other person. If this is truly the metric that people use to value relationships then this holiday season is going to suck! Right now, I am thinking about adding to my emotional inventory by celebrating the two upcoming holidays in "safe places." The relatives that I don't want to see will either not be attending due to ongoing family feuds or recent incarceration. I'm not sure which "I can't come" reason is worse. I'll have to sleep on that. The good news is that I will wake up on both holidays with a large smile--this will not be inspired by holiday spirit, but rather stems from the fact that I won't have to add another awful holiday to the existing mental inventory.

I received an email from Axel Elvik today--Norway's favorite son. He made the following remarks: "In these uncertain economic times, it is not about how fast you can move up the corporate ladder or how succesful you will be, things become binary--job or no job, house or no house. The uncertainty of it all points down and not up. Scary, but it puts your normal worries into perspective. Makes them smaller." Say what you will about the Norwegians, but they do have their moments.

Additionally, I had an interesting conversation with my cousin Maria about personal inventory. She shared with me that each time she gets worked up about the economy or the uncertain future, she head's to her closet and puts together a bag of stuff to donate to Goodwill. Wow! She made the statement that going through such a process not only helps her to clear her mind of the negative "not enough" thoughts, and helps her to remember how much she actually does have--both in possessions and in the things that can't be counted.

Historically, I have written a post near year-end where I list out all these very specific things that I want to do in the subsequent year--I achieve some of them, and others fall by the way side. I recognize now that writing down a goal doesn't mean that it's going to happen; it is a first step towards creating a process that helps a person assemble the skills or other odds and ends that make that goal a reality. I have two goals for this year that I will share with a few people--the same people that I will ask for support and accountability in achieving these goals, and will ask for direction in creating a process focused on achieving these two ends.

Namaste

2 Comments:

Blogger Walter's Mom said...

I eagerly anticipate this Christmas.
It will be a larger group this year.
My step-mother-in-law will be bringing two of her adult sons along with their families. My husband's brother, sister-in-law, and nephew are planning to visit. Of course, my "faves"--your mom, sister, and you. Christmas dinner should be about 25 with lots of interesting personalities! I'm already evaluating different menus. Tonight I am taking a cooking class on a traditional prime rib dinner including Yorkshire pudding. It's going to be a blast.

7:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amiable brief and this fill someone in on helped me alot in my college assignement. Gratefulness you on your information.

1:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home