Monday, April 09, 2007

An Easter Blog.....

"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place It will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me or nobody is going to hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard you hit, it is about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward, how much can you take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done! "- Rocky Balboa in Rocky Balboa

Yesterday I rented Rocky Balboa from the video store. In light of the Easter holiday, I think this selection was appropriate. The story-line is pretty simple: a former champion comes out of retirement for an exhibition boxing match with the reigning heavy weight champion. Everyone thinks the guy is crazy, but it's not about what everyone else thinks: It's about what the Champ thinks. He's got to do this, or he just won't be himself.

Call me a heretic, but I think that Jesus and Rocky have a lot in common. They are both men of great determination and character. The deck is stacked against them, but they know that deep in their bones that what they are doing is possible. If they give up, then they are already dead.

On a personal level, this movie really spoke to me. Growing up, I would watch a Rocky movie the night before a tennis tournament. A lot of things have been going on--professionally and personally--and I was beginning to feel a little sorry for myself. This movie woke me up from this little funk. This movie reminded me that I still have plenty of stuff in the "basement" and it's time to rededicate myself to CPA training, and let the unimportant things fall to the side. It's what I got do.......

Namaste

2 Comments:

Blogger Walter's Mom said...

Rocky and Jesus--I think Jesus would like that comparison. But what would Sly say?
I think it is a good idea to know your primary focus. For a large part of my life, that meant building a practice.
For another part of my life, that meant finding a good husband. Both were valid concerns and I was very clear when I went after each.
The results were successful in both arenas. Now, my work is once again my priority (after God, of course) as I change from owner to associate and still maintain my integrity.
By the way, how did the movie end?

4:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know that's funny that you watched the Rocky movies before a match. The Rocky theme is what I used to reply in my mind before a meet. Repeating it over and over again kept me energetic and focused.

MAD

8:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home