Thursday, June 21, 2007

Born at The Right Time

But among the reeds and rushes
A baby girl was found
Her eyes as clear as centuries
Her silky hair was brown

Never been lonely
Never been lied to
Never had to scuffle in fear
Nothing denied to
Born at the instant
The church bells chime
And the whole world whispering
Born at the right time
- Born at the Right Time by Paul Simon

This week Kathryn LeeAnne Davis was ushered into this world, a little darling to give her dad even more gray hair than he already has. I received the phone call today from my good friend and blog reader, Mark Davis--also known as "MAD." And with her appearance in this big world of ours, I have been thinking about the miracle of life. I'm not going to get into how beautiful birth--I saw the videos in high school biology and the birthing process was anything but lovely--but when I think about the idea of new life, I think about two words: "unlimited possibility."

When we celebrate Christmas, we retell the story of a little baby born with a bunch of animals to a young mother, and a man who is not his biological father. I think the reason we keep telling this story is because whenever a new life comes into this world, regardless of the conditions and circumstances, there is this overwhelming hope and joy that they will be wondrous, and do things that can't be understood at the time of their birth. The biological connection aside, that is what I think is truly wondrous about Katie's appearance on this planet.

So congratulations, Mark and Kin. I know you two will be amazing parents.

Namaste

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! Thank you for that beautiful tribute. One small correction is that her middle name is Lian (pronounced LeeAnn) but is Chinese for Lotus (and a couple other things). I think you are right, she was born at the right time. Kin and I are at a point where we are adult enough to take good care of her but child enough that we can relate, have fun with, and encourage her limitless possibilities.
Thank you so very much,
MAD

12:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home