Friday, May 25, 2007

Gather Up the Pieces....

"Seek progress, not perfection."
- ZA

"Gather up the fragments that remain, that nothing may be lost."
- John 6:13

If I were reading something and the author quoted themself, I would think it was pretty lame. It still may be, but the aforementioned quote is what hit me out of the blue today. Previous to today, I've been really frustrated with my progress in the pool. I felt like garbage in the water yesterday, and got a practice ending foot cramp after only 1,000 meters at practice. I left workout yesterday really pissed off, angry that my plans had been ruined.

When I got in the pool today for my lesson, and start actually working on my stroke, it was apparent that I have made a lot of progress over the past 5 years. I looked at the fundamental pieces of my frustration, and felt better about things. With this new approach, I made the following realization about what I need to do: (1) Iron out the kink on my left arm as to prevent injury and ineffeciency, and then (2) When I have achieved this, build an aerobic/workout base in the pool. I think the first piece may take 3 to 6 months. The second one will take maybe 3 to 6 months as well. But that's what I need to do, and I feel better about things.

Back in the day, my tennis coach talked about tennis as "problem solving" or "how to piece your opponent apart." I have a deeper appreciation for what he was talking about now that I have more Life under my belt. In aggregate, things may look absolutely overwhelming. The guy across the net may be a physical monster, with a big serve and imposing presence. But maybe he's a mental midget, or his backhand falls apart after three shots. You never know. Irregardless of the circumstances of a situation, there is always a foothold, some way to make challenging tasks possible.

When I write these things, I think most of the time I am trying either (1) Document stuff so that I don't forget a lesson learned or (2) Remind myself of what I need to do to become the person I want to be. Most of the time my goals are pretty lofty, such that they can only be achieved under ideal circumstances. In the face of such goals/dreams, I can get really pissed off or mentally rattled when things don't go my way. But I think my message for the day relates to most high-achieving people I know. We'll see what the posts look like...

Namaste

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am glad to see you are doing well. Good luck with the exam!

3:07 PM  
Blogger Walter's Mom said...

I really loved your beginning
quotes at the top of the piece.
Taken separately, I could spend hours contemplating the wisdom of each. Placed sequentially, they are an amazing and creative document.
As always, you are seeking improvement, evaluating and then adjusting to maximize your results.
Just remember, some of us love you,
just as you are.

3:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home