Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Problems...

"Be thankful for what exists within yourself."
- Andre Gide

Came across this quote randomly today while checking my gmail account. It struck a chord. I've spent a lot of time and energy thinking about achieving and doing things that I rarely take stock of the things that I have under my belt. This quote also reminded me of a dose of family wisdom that I first heard when I was a much younger man.

From what I have been told, my mother's mother was a real character. I'd like to say that I knew this first hand, but she passed on when I was 6 or 7 or 8. I do remember that she could cook up a storm, but that's about it. Anyway, Granny used to say something to the effect of, "If you sat down across the table from any other person, and you both put your problems out on the table, you would be the first to take your problems back." Not sure if this is an old German thing, or just something that she came up with on her own, but it's pretty wise. When I look at the problems that I have, I have to conclude that I am extremely fortunate.

Namaste

1 Comments:

Blogger Walter's Mom said...

Granny was incredibly wise and funny. That was an amazing combination. And, even more astounding, she could talk to anyone. This was very embarrassing for me when I was an adolescent. I would be mortified when Mom would chat with people in the grocery check-out line (it's like buying gold!) or other shoppers in the department store (that dress is adorable on you!).
I thought she was so uncool. Now I wish I could be more like her.
Would you like me to emai about 100 pages of Granny? I could spend hours and hours writing about her. Everything good about the McGill sisters comes from her
(and maybe a little weirdness). I do remember vividly that Granny cooked the best shrimp in the world. She would boil the critters in their shells in water flavored with celery, garlic, pepper corns, and other tasty stuff. After, you had to peel. That was unpleasant, especially the vein. You were about 4 or 5 and would sit next to Granny and eat shrimp after shrimp. So unusual for a little kid. Of course, these were fabulous crustaceans, but you were already a "foodie" back then.

6:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home