Saturday, June 30, 2007

Knowing and Doing

"There is a difference between knowing the path, and walking the path."
- Morpheus in The Matrix

So this week I received a call from my friend Ken--a very disciplined, and focused individual who is a CPA and is currently working on his CFA accreditation. Ken basically said that I need to stop thinking about passing the exam, and told me to work hard every goddamn day on actually passing the exam. Ken challenged me to treat the exam like a 1/2 marathon or a swim meet. As part of this challenge, told me to only update the blog on the weekends. So until I have this exam completed, I'll only be writing on the weekends.

All the drama of the CPA problem has been flushed out. If I want the designation, I just have to put my ass in a seat for a few hours a day and let the learning happen. Let's see how walking the path goes this week.

So, once again I have revisited the fact that there is a big difference between knowing what to do, and actually doing what you need to do. But I feel good about re-cultivating this practice of CPA study. It will be a challenge, but that's half the fun.....

Namaste

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

We will miss you but it is worth it. Go kick that exam's butt!
MAD

11:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The sacrifice is temporary; the rewards are permanent.

The "rewards" of a CPA - how nerdy is that? But seriously, you get to use those letters for the rest of your professsional career. Good luck!

KJC

11:16 AM  
Blogger Walter's Mom said...

Just returned from Russia. The cities, palaces, museums, and art were beautiful. The little villages were charming. The people were incredibly warm.
Here I am talking about another great travel adventure. I write this because I want you to remember that no one had more trouble with a state licensing exam than I. And, here I am; I survived and thrived. Just take it one study session at a time.
I rented an air compressor and cut preps everyday for months. And I practiced denture set ups. And I studied for the written. And . . .
you get the point. Just know this is something you have to get through and try not to get too dramatic.
I will miss the entries. At least I know not to look during the week.
I guess I'm on an "inner game" diet. Sending lots of prayers!

5:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home