Sunday, August 12, 2007

Family Stuff

"Families are about love overcoming emotional torture."
- Matt Groening, creator of The Simpsons

I am sitting at a desk in Los Angeles right now, the same desk and computer where this blog originated from. Sort of a full-circle moment right now. A year and four months have passed, and I have documentary evidence of all the personal growth I have seen. I wouldn't say that I have The Game mastered, but I have learned a great deal over this time horizon.

I'd like to say that I got up early today with a steaming cup of coffee, reviewed my writing, then went out for a run on the beach as the sun rose, but that didn't happen. I did sit back and take and emotional inventory of what's happened over the life of this writing outpost. Lots of change, lots of awareness backed up with some practice of these lessons. The practice is the real rub of it all.

Last night all the members of the McGill family that were in the United States met up at a restaurant in Camarillo, California. We all laughed the same trademark laugh--one part machine gun rapid fire to one part evil scientist--had one or two or three drinks more than we needed to, and celebrated the birthdays of my Uncle Paul and Aunt Margie. It was another wonderful moment in my life.

I wasn't exactly sure what I was going to write about this morning, but the Groening quote made things pretty clear. At some point each person at that table had offended or hurt every other person at that table in some way. As a family, we spend a good chunk of time together and time mixed with other family members is a recipe for disaster. But still, each person had accepted the overwhelming imperfection and humanity of their family members, and chosen to love them irregardless. For me, that is the miracle of a family gathering.

This morning I stumbled downstairs. My cousin-in-law Matt was downstairs waking up, and rehydrating--not from booze though. Matt was the designated driver last night, and drank a lot of coffee to keep himself up. We sort of just grunted at each other as I headed for the fridge and a big ass glass of water. That's one of the the things I love about the guy. We can have a conversation for hours about something we both really like, but can go hours as well without saying anything. Another great addition to the family.....

I'm not sure what it is, but time moves so much slower in this little pocket of Los Angeles. I can't really explain it, but one day here feel like two or three days back home--but in the best way possible. The moments are like wonderful flavors that are held on the tongue.

Looking forward to going back home, though. I have a lot of good work ahead of me this week. Going to knock out some beautiful financial reporting this week, get one last week of half marathon training under my belt, and pray to God that I don't injure myself come race day.....

Namaste

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a fantastic blog! That's the kind of writing that I came to expect early on in your blogging career. The content is great, as usual, but the delivery is classic you.
Be thankful that your family has been able to move on, past those hurtful occasions. Many families don't and they just drift apart. You are lucky if your family hasn't.
I hope your financial reporting went as well as your marathon!
MAD

4:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home