Sunday, August 19, 2007

San Diego Half Marathon

"Hell, I may be slow, but at least I am out here."
- Hand written on the back of runner's T-shirt at the San Diego half marathon

Today I completed the aforementioned half marathon. It's probably the most scenic race that I have run to date. It started just off the Pacific, then sloped through some really beautiful suburban area, down to a pier area, then up to Balboa Park. The first 10.5 miles were nice, but the last few were literally all up hill. It absolutely sucked. The nice thing is that the race is over, and that I have a half marathon under my belt very early in the season.

One of the things that struck me with this race was the number of people who weren't "athletic" looking. I mean this in a positive way though. There were a lot of people who were walking from the very start, or trotting slowly. My perception is that they had a set a goal, were deeply committed to it, and were just going to finish the race. This needs to be tempered with safety. I know of at least three people who needed EMT attention today. The odd thing is that all of these people looked reall fit. You'd never guess that they were the ones who were going to be lying down with a IV sticking out of their arm.

I spend a good chunk of time on this page talking about what I want to do, and how I am going to create the person that I want to be--which isn't a bad thing. But I realized yesterday that I need to be better at inching towards these things in a meaningful way each day. The Buddha said, "The great vessel is filled with many small drops." Something ponder, more importantly, it's something to practice.

Namaste

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've noticed that exact same thing. Many of the people running half or whole marathons don't look like they should be. I'm always impressed by the human spirit and its ability to embrace tribulation and survive.
MAD

4:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home